Wednesday, August 22, 2012

P is for Potty

Today an amazing thing happened: Eloise used the potty for the first time. Not as a seat or a hat or a torture device for her baby (see evidence below) but as an actual toilet. It was a very exciting moment.

You go first, baby.

Like most mornings, Chris brought Eloise into our bed to wake me up and after saying her usual, super sweet, "Hi Mama," she said "Mama, pee pee." For a week now Eloise has been informing me when she needs to go or has just gone. I've taken this as a sign that it's time to start potty training so I have been bringing her into the bathroom as soon as she tells me and trying to get her to sit on the toilet. Nothing happens, unless she pees on the floor.

I finally purchased a potty on Saturday and every time we're in the bathroom I take off her diaper, sit her on the new potty and prompt her to go. I've been getting a lot of "no's" but this morning I proceeded anyway and lo and behold, there it was! Never again will Chris and I be so proud of a bodily function.

I know that all parents think their child is brilliant, but does it not seem advanced for a 17-month old to be so aware of their body's needs? I am certainly impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment