Monday, April 22, 2013

What is a Cake Pop?

I've always been a little confused by cake pops. They are so pretty to look at, but I've never understood what exactly they are made of. Raw dough covered with icing? Lollipop shaped cake?

Molly is obsessed with the trendy treat (what seven year old wouldn't be?) and since she was staying with us this weekend I promised her we'd try our hands at making them. In the process I discovered they are not uncooked dough (thank goodness) and actually quite simple to make. I cheated and used a boxed cake mix and jarred frosting, but I imagine they would be a billion times more delicious with my Mom's chocolate wacky cake and homemade chocolate butter cream as the base. Ingredients aside, this is how we made our cake pops:

13 x 9" sheet cake (as I mentioned, I made these with Molly and she chose Betty Crocker rainbow chips cake mix. Obviously)
Frosting (we used vanilla to match the cake)
1 lb melting chocolates
Mini rainbow chocolate chips

Bake the cake as directed, using a 13 x 9" pan. Once completely cool, crumble the entire cake (minus a few nibblies, oops!) into a bowl. Add about a cup of frosting to the cake crumbs and mix everything well. The mixture should be dough-like in texture and simple to shape into a ball. If it is too crumbly, add more frosting. Form the mixture into balls freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, use a double boiler to melt chocolate. Once cake balls have frozen, stab each one with a lollipop stick and dip into the chocolate, covering completely. We (messily) rolled our cake pops in mini rainbow chocolate chips but you could go au natural. Let the chocolate harden by poking the lollipop sticks into the holes of a colander (genius!). Or, if you're lazy like me and bored with the project already just set the cake pops back onto the parchment. I assure you, a flat bottom cake pop tastes exactly the same.

*WARNING: Do not feed to two year olds. Eloise was up until 10:30.

This is what we ended up with. Not great, but Molly was happy so I was too.

No comments:

Post a Comment