Thursday, May 8, 2014

No More Judgement

Love or hate her, Gwyneth Paltrow has a point in this week's edition of her goop newsletter.


I've said it before, Moms need to stop being so judgmental and start supporting each other more. Whether your reality is as a Mom with a 9-5, or you stay at home with your children, or work from home like I do, we are all just trying to do the best for our families. And you know what, there are different ways to parent too. So you don't always feed your kids organic and you let them watch tv, maybe you breastfed for over two years and chose to cloth diaper, it's all good. So long as your goal is raising happy, healthy, well-adjusted children it doesn't matter how you get there.

Another article (from a blog called Real Life Parenting) I came across on Facebook this week resonated with me and goes along with this whole 'no more judgement' thing. We are all guilty of pulling out our phones to zone out for a bit, even with our children in tow, but is this always so bad? I used to judge that iPhone Mom at the park, but as I've grown as a Mom I've realized that even when you are not physically playing with your children you are inevitably engaged with them. Kids demand (and deserve) our attention, and they get it, all day long. Eloise has my attention at midnight when she has to pee, has a nightmare or comes into our bed. She has my attention when she wakes up in the morning and we talk about what we are going to do that day, while I brush her teeth and get her dressed. Eloise has my attention when I prepare her breakfast and lunch, snacks and dinner, when I sit down to make sure she is eating and on car rides as I engage in endless games of Eye-Spy. Combine parenting with work and Moms deserve judgement free, kid free quiet time, even if only to check in on Instagram for a few minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment