Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cloth Diapering Momma

Cute AND functional.

Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to becoming a cloth diapering momma.

When I learned that disposables produce 3.4 million tonnes of landfill waste every year and that each one of those diapers takes about 500 years to decompose, I knew that this was not something I could contribute to. What's more, harsh toxins found in disposable diapers like dioxin, a carcinogenic by-product of the bleaching process, and sodium polyacrylate, the chemical that makes up those 'super absorbent crystals', are not something that I want next to the perfect skin of my baby. To top it all off, using cloth diapers will be much less expensive and by the time our babe is potty training we will have spent a third less than diapering with disposables.

In November Chris and I took a totally empowering cloth diapering course from New & Green Baby Co. which helped us demystify some of the cloth diaper jargon we'd been struggling with. We learned that cloth diapers are not what they used to be - not a safety pin in sight - and that cloth is really user friendly with so many diapering options available today. Thanks to this very informative seminar, we also figured out just what we want and don't want in a cloth diaper, which is always half the battle.

All skeptics aside (*ahem, you know who you are), I know that cloth diapers are the right choice for us. Now comes the hard part: choosing our diapers!




No comments:

Post a Comment