Saturday, August 10, 2013

Because

I remember being taught in grade one never to start a sentence with the word because. I don't remember the reason why. Because it was the rule. Something about fragments. (Oh grammar humour!)

Eloise has blown right through this rule and has been using because at the beginning of sentences to defend her feelings. I'll ask, "Eloise, why are you crying?" and she'll answer, without caring to elaborate, "Because I feel sad."

Or at dinner time, "Because I want to eat dinner on the couch."

Running from the dog, "Because No-nee is really smelly!"

Or, "Because I want to wear my ballet shoes to bed." Can't argue with that.

This same grade one teacher taught me to sing the tune to happy birthday as I spelled out b-e-c-a-u-s-e and I must have been in my teens before I could spell the word without singing the song. If Eloise is going to say because so frequently, it's not too early for her to spell it too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment