Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review: An Object of Beauty

B.E., Before Eloise, I used to read a lot. Early pregnancy put my reading on hold because I was so exhausted, near the end I was focused on pregnancy books and in the first few months after Eloise was born I don't think I knew which way was up (lack of sleep does this to you).

I have recently rediscovered my love of reading and once I realized I could read while nursing, I've become book-obsessed once again. My dear friends, Kelly and Alex, share my love for books and often finish one of our long-distance phone conversations asking, "you reading anything good?" In fact, I am, and since a book is always better when it's shared, I'm going to tell you about it.

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

It's easy to be skeptical of an actor-turned-author, but Steve Martin's writing is engaging, entertaining and smart. In An Object of Beauty, we observe Lacey Yeager in her ascent in New York's art world, from auction house lackey to gallery owner. The book follows Lacey from the perspective of her longtime friend, Daniel Frank, detailing her trials and triumphs along the way. Confident and ambitious, Martin gives us a captivating heroine in Lacey and from cover to cover I could not wait to see what scheme she would cook up next. Have a long plane ride in the forecast? Pack this book along, you will not be disappointed!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment