Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vacation Reads

First, let me say that my absence of posts lately has had everything to do with planning for and finally leaving on a long-awaited vacation with Chris. Last week we took our first trip alone since Eloise was born - and actually, since our honeymoon - and organizing for our departure left me rather preoccupied.

I am pleased to report that not only did Chris and I have a fantastic time at the Dreams Resort in Puerto Vallarta Mexico, Eloise did just fine with my mom and dad, Gaga & Papa, for a whole week. I was really feeling the separation from her by day four, but our palapa server Ramon continued to bring me double piƱa coladas, so I managed to make it through. Ah sun and booze.

Apart from the obvious reasons to be excited about for my trip - time alone with Chris! sunshine! no dishes! no laundry! no interruptions! - I was ecstatic about the opportunity to read. In preparation I loaded my Kobo with 5 new books and actually managed to read two of them (see: no interruptions).

First up, The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff.

{image}

Okay, so this novel about early Mormons and polygamy isn't your typical beach read, but I was hooked by page one. Admittedly, I find this a fascinating topic but I equally enjoyed the way Mr. Ebershoff wrote his novel. Historical fiction paralleled with modern fiction, The 19th Wife alternates between the early days of the Mormon religion and one woman's crusade to end polygamy and a modern day mystery surrounding the conviction of a Sister Wife for the murder of her husband, as investigated by her excommunicated, gay son. Sound like a handful? It is. This book was also an interesting look (albeit fact-based historical fiction) at a religion I know nothing of and an entertaining story too.

And then there was Bossypants by Tina Fey.

{image}
This has been on my list of books to read since last year so I was looking forward to finally having the time to read it. What a treat! While it's no surprise that Tina Fey is funny, Bossypants is so unbelievably funny that by about page 30 I was laughing so hard that Chris put down his book and we read the whole thing together in one sitting (talk about romantic, right?). Compiled of stories from her childhood, SNL years, current adventures with 30 Rock and experience as a mother and wife, Fey comes across as honest, relatable and above all, funny. Did I mention that this book is funny?


No comments:

Post a Comment