Saturday, September 8, 2012

Wean-er

I am in the process of weaning Eloise and it's proving to be more difficult than I expected. My goal has always been to breastfeed for a year and a half or until Eloise weaned herself, but since she'll be 18 months old on Sunday, it's me who's doing the weaning.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing very well. For the last few months nursing has been primarily an at-home thing in bed in the morning and before naps. Continuing to breastfeed was certainly helpful during our busy summer and I think the comfort of it provided some consistency when we were away. My limited milk supply is definitely a source of frustration for Eloise and results in a constant request for "boobies" (I know, worst name ever, but that's what she's fixated on), so when we're at home I find myself just giving in. 

Chris is trying his best to help by feeding Eloise breakfast as soon as she wakes up in the morning rather than bringing her into bed and distracting her if she asks to nurse during the day. I hate to see her upset when I say no to breastfeeding and, I hate to admit it, but I guess I am hung up on losing this special bond with her. It just means she is another step away from being a baby. 




No comments:

Post a Comment