Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WAHM

When I was pregnant the question was often, "How are you going to do it when the baby comes?"

The "it" was work as much as I do and care for my children simultaneously and I said I didn't know, it would just work out. And it has, mostly. If I didn't love what I do so much I wouldn't be able to keep going the way that I do. I love knowing that I have a hand in one of the most important days in someone's life. I love being there when my clients create memories and I feel fortunate that I can put my creativity to good use. When I am not at home I never worry about Eloise and Spencer. I often feel guilty for leaving them so much and that my work takes up time that we should have together, but I never worry. My parents are dream caregivers and Chris is an exceptional Dad. In fact, Chris handles caring for both kids so well that at my last wedding he sent me a photo of Eloise in the bath, Spencer bathed and in bed. It was 6:56pm. I'm lucky if I get Eloise down by 8:30pm when I'm on my own.

The biggest struggle, I am finding, comes with the day to day. I am struggling to figure out the best way to handle endless emails, field phone calls and work on projects for clients while keeping both kids entertained, making sure everyone is fed and staying ahead of the housework. I never seem to accomplish it all in a day and if I don't write down what I need to do it doesn't happen. An entire conversation or idea gone - poof! - unless it's on paper.

What I am trying to do now, as a WAHM (that's Work at Home Mom), is not easy. My 'office' is in the middle of the living room which means shutting myself off to the needs of my children or only working when they are asleep or with my parents. My Mom & Dad often offer to help with the kids before I even have to ask, but I still run around like a crazy person trying to get it all done. These days I never sit down unless it is for the purpose of feeding Spencer or working on the computer, if I am up from my desk there is something to be done around the house. Phone calls are an opportunity to fold laundry.   

Last Saturday I took on my biggest wedding to date, doing all of the planning and handling all of the decor. I handmade each sign, every piece of stationery, picked up every decor item and assembled a team to set it all up. It was a lot to take on and in the week leading up to the wedding Chris was in Toronto where he was the best man in another wedding. I spent several late nights working on seating plans, making place cards and hand lettering chalkboard signs, scared that I could not complete everything during the day with both kids underfoot. My parents assisted a lot with Eloise and Spencer and it all worked out (of course), but a crazy few weeks and made me consider what I can do to make life easier on myself. For the sake of my family it might be time to hire in a little help.


No comments:

Post a Comment