Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Too Cool

I've never been particularly cool, at least not in the hip sense of the word. I mean, I like to think I'm a 'cool' girl to be around but I've always been too prim to be actually cool.

My brother Thomas is cool. He and his hipster friends study film, play in indie bands, DJ with vinyls and take artsy photos with retro cameras. They wear tight jeans with lots of plaid, ugly sweaters and old lady glasses. They throw raging house parties on weekdays and hang out at cool places like the Waldorf. They're hipsters, the current generation of cool kids.

I'm reminded of my lack of coolness when, on a Saturday night, Thomas invites me out to the club he's DJing at and I decline to stay at home in my pajamas. Instead, Chris and I put the baby to bed early and watched the entire second season of HBO's How to Make it in America with a plate of my Mom's Christmas cookies. I know, things can get dangerously cool around here.

My lack of coolness aside, How to Make it in America is an awesome show. The characters are hip 20-somethings you'd want to hang out with, living in New York and you guessed it, trying to make it. The soundtrack to each episode is amazing and I can't help but wish, if only for a moment, that I was in their shoes, yearning for that big break and trying to figure it all out. But then again, when you're single, broke and trying to find your path in life, don't you yearn for the chance to snuggle up at home with your hubby on a Saturday night? I guess the grass is always greener.


No comments:

Post a Comment