Saturday, November 24, 2012

Oops, Sorry

Have you noticed how many times a day you say sorry? It's oh-so-Canadian of us, but I catch myself saying sorry numerous times a day for things that really don't require an apology. The next time you say, "sorry about that," or "I'm sorry," think about it, do you really need to be sorry or are you just saying so?

Beyond American media poking fun at our over-apologetic Canadian nature, Eloise has brought this 'sorry syndrome' to my attention by saying sorry when it's not necessary. We've taught her to apologize for doing things that are not nice, like hitting the dog, but she has picked up saying sorry for everything from dropping a toy to moving too much as we struggle to put on her socks.

So now I'm trying to un-teach sorry by saying, "It's okay, no need to say sorry," to which she replies, "'s-okay baby, sorry." Oh dear.

1 comment: