Friday, December 21, 2012

My Hope for the End of the World

Today the world is supposed to end. I don't think it's going to happening but I do see today as a pivotal point toward a new way of thinking; maybe today is the end of the worst.

With all the recent natural disasters, war, pollution, violence and last week's atrocity in Newton, I hope people are starting to wake up and realize that we need to change the way we live. Let's start with gratuitous violence and guns. Let's stop producing movies that glorify violence and stop buying our children video games that involve running around with assault weapons. Let's stop wasting and take better care of our planet, actually. When there is an island made entirely of garbage, we need to take a better look at what we do to contribute to that. Let's stop eating so much processed food, learn to grow our own vegetables, take time to cook good meals as a family and talk to our neighbours again.

I want Eloise to grow up knowing that her world is going to be okay. I don't ever want to explain to her why 20 children are dead, why there are people suffering without access to clean water and why animals are abused. My fear for her world is that our generation will have wasted the resources that she needs to thrive and we need to do something about this.

This is my hope for the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment