Saturday, February 9, 2013

What to Pack When You're Expecting

If last year was the year of weddings, this one is most definitely the year of babies. Several of my good friends are expecting their first babies between now and August and I am beside myself excited. I am delighted to soon have more friends to share in the experience of motherhood, especially since some of us have been friends since we were preschoolers.

I have many words of advice to share with all these expectant mothers but none more repetitively than, "pack your hospital bag early." I know it seems obvious, but if there is one thing that can make a difference to a soon-to-be or brand new mom at a place as unpleasant as the hospital it is having a few creature comforts from home. I can vouch for this because I outright ignored the warning of my prenatal masseuse to have my hospital bag ready to go. In fact, when I did go into labour at 36 weeks I was in complete denial so I just stuck my toothbrush in my purse and grabbed my pillow to head to the hospital 'just in case'. Eloise was born that night of course and we ended up staying at the hospital (around 40 minutes from home I might add) for nearly five days. I didn't even bring a bra!

Thankfully my supportive family and friends helped by bringing the essentials but I know that I would have been happier had I organized myself. Not to mention poor Chris who arrived in his work clothes that night and slept on a mat on our hospital room floor the entire time.

So fellow mamas, not sure what to pack for the hospital? Here is a list of what I consider to be the essentials.




No comments:

Post a Comment