Thursday, May 9, 2013

Madeline Says Merci

{madeline}

We've been having some, um, challenges with Miss E over the past month. Her two year old self constantly tests my patience and I feel like a broken record by the end of the day trying to positively, yet firmly, encourage good behaviour and kindness. Manners require constant reminders though I am always pleasantly surprised when I get an un-prompted "pease and sanks you."

I met a friend for brunch last week and, knowing the tricky time I've been having with Eloise at two, she gave us the most darling book, Madeline Says Merci: The Always be Polite Book. Madeline was a personal favourite of mine growing up so in my opinion this book was a hit before we even cracked it open.

Eloise loves the pictures in this charming story and I love that it speaks to everything from greeting adults to being considerate and apologizing. Written by Madeline creator Ludwig Bemelmans' grandson, John Bemelmans Marciano, this book is just a little modernized with phrases such as "teasing someone isn't cool" but still classically Madeline.

 

We've been reading it every night before bed so if I'm lucky perhaps Eloise will sharpen up her manners though osmosis?

No comments:

Post a Comment