Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Songs We Sing

Twinkle Twinkle and the ABCs are great, but I'd have to say Eloise likes my made up songs best of all.

It all started with the Bathtime Conga. Since introducing bathtime into Eloise's nightly routine when she was around six months Chris and I have been parading down the hallway in celebration of her bath every night (it's one step closer to our small sliver of nightly freedom). At the time Molly was into Dora, and I often had her stupid "Backpack" song stuck in my head. I made up a bathtime song to the same tune, except ours is danced as a conga:

"Iiiiittts, iiiitttts... (jazz hands)

Bathtime, bathtime! Bathtime, bathtime! Whoo! Na-na-na-na-na, nuh-na-na-na-na, bathtime, bathtime, do the bathtime conga! La-la-la-la-la, luh-la-la-la-la, bathtime, bathtime, do the bathtime, conga!" Imagine lots of clapping, some latin(ish) moves and one very excited child.

I also sing Eloise a song called the "Clean Plate Club". I actually made this song up for Molly when she was three in an effort to get her to eat, brilliantly bribing her with this super fun diddy made just for her, but only if she finished her meal. It worked like a charm and I have developed quite a following among Molly's friends who still ask me to sing the Clean Plate Club and do the dance. It's not very cool now that they're seven and eight.

The clean plate club is sung to loosely the tune of the "Lollipop Guild" from Wizard of Oz and goes like this:

"Oh Eloise is a member of the clean plate club, the clean plate club, the clean plate club. Eloise is a member of the clean plate club, yum, yum, yum. So if you wanna be a member of the clean plate club, the clean plate club, the clean plate club, if you wanna be a member of the clean plate club, you have to eat your dinner, done, done, done."

We also have a new poo song, but I'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment