Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Maternity Pants

They say you're not supposed to make your pregnancy public until you're past 12 weeks, but let me tell you this is pretty tricky when you have a noticeable bump. At 10 weeks my pants wouldn't button and by 11 I jumped into maternity pants out of necessity. I tried the old 'elastic looped through your button hole with a Bella Band trick' but then I remembered this is totally uncomfortable; you spend 90% of the day trying to keep the pants up and the band down. Forget it, I'm putting comfort first this time around and pulling on the delicious soft waistbands of maternity pants now.

For the record, I did not need maternity anything until nearly halfway through my pregnancy with Eloise. They say your muscle memory means showing earlier with your second but this is absurd. Unless this growth peters out I'm going to be one. big. pregnant. lady.

I have a few friends who were pregnant last year so I passed on my maternity clothes and we started "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Maternity Pants". I like to think of myself as the founding member as it was my stash that did the traveling first, but my friends Davi & Ari added to the collection too and I am now the proud guardian of nine pairs of stylish maternity pants. It made me giddy to count them up today - boot cut and skinny jeans, coloured denim and black pants - I am outfitted for the next six months with a nearly overwhelming selection. My friend Renee also contributed to my maternity wardrobe with tons of tops and pants, including a sexy pair of 7 For All Mankind skinny jeans that will be my go-to during the coming events season.

Here are a few of my favourites from the first time around. In all honesty, I wore the H&M leggings out because they were so damn comfy, but at $14.95 I think it's safe to say I can treat myself to another pair. And the American Apparel is not maternity, but these super soft, unisex v-neck tees are generous enough to cover a pregnant belly.

{a pea in the pod}

{h&m}
{h&m}
{american apparel}

For the record, my maternity choices are not always black. But when you're pregnant and nothing fits and you're feeling plump, at least black goes with everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment