Wednesday, January 8, 2014

An Ode to Sandwiches

{pinterest}

When I was pregnant with Eloise all I wanted to eat was Olympic Organic vanilla yogurt. I would wake up in the middle of the night to eat it right out of the container and for months we were going through a few kilograms of yogurt every week. I must have OD'd because now I'm just not into the stuff.

This time around I can't get enough sandwiches. I'm eating one for lunch every day and often a sandwich is all I want for dinner too. Toasted with avocado and cheese, stuffed with sprouts, tomato and lots of mayo, a bocconcini, arugula and tomato panini, or simple peanut butter and jelly, give me good bread, yummy fillings and I'm a happy lady. Oh and cheese, cheese is a big thing for me these days.

I wouldn't call my affinity for sandwiches a craving so much as a necessity. I am terribly hungry most of the time and I continuously tell myself that at least eating a sandwich covers most of the food group basics - bread is a grain product, cheese a milk & alternative, avocado, tomato and lettuce make up the fruit & veg portion, and mayonnaise is an oil & fat - I might be missing meat & alternatives, but cheese is a good protein too, right?

For me pregnancy food is more than just ice cream and pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment