Friday, December 7, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments

Remember making salt dough ornaments in preschool? I do. My mom still hangs them on our Christmas tree.

I thought salt dough would be an easy Christmas craft to do with Eloise so I found a recipe online and invited our friends Ashleigh & Sawyer over with the idea of doing hand prints of the kids to hang on the tree. Except Eloise would not put her hand in the dough ... "No, 's sticky!" she said.

Since Eloise wasn't in the crafting mood I used some cookie cutters and made a bunch of holly leaves, bells, trees and two random rhinos for the tree. Or maybe for gift tags.

Salt Dough

1/2 cup table salt
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup warm water

Combine all ingredients mix for 5-8 minutes, until the dough has formed and is no longer sticky. Roll dough onto a floured surface, 1/4 inch thick. You'll need lots of flour for rolling. Once cut into desired shapes, bake ornaments at 200 degrees for 4 hours or until dry. I know this sounds like a long time but you want to bake them this long to avoid bubbles in the dough.

Before cutting out shapes I made a pattern on the rolled dough with a Christmas script stamp. My mom has an extensive collection of cookie cutters so I was able to sample from her stash, but you could even use a glass for a simple circle. Use a straw on skewer to make a hole for hanging.


This is one of my almost-finished ornaments. Pretty right? For the finishing touch I'm going to add some gold leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment