Sunday, August 18, 2013

Alone in TO

There is something perfunctory about arriving at the airport, heading straight to my gate and rewarding myself for having enough time not to run while they call my name (it's happened more than once) with a coffee and a magazine. Only this time I didn't learn that my far away gate was without a Starbucks or newsstand until I arrived. So I booked it back to gate A and while I chose to forgo coffee - I'm looking forward to a complimentary bottle of bubbly on board - I did pick up the September InStyle (love September issues). 

I should mention that I'll be enjoying a post-bubbles airplane nap alone. Actually, I'll be alone for a whole week in Toronto. I am heading out for my dear friend and university roommate Kelly's wedding and will be exploring my home away from home city solo for the first time in six years. 

What I love most about summer in Toronto is walking. The weather is hot and usually muggy, but so long as you break for iced coffee, stop in for an air-conditioned tour of the AGO, and refuel with a patio lunch before heading back outside, you're alright. I'm undeniably excited for the wedding festivities starting on Wednesday, but I also can't wait to be completely self sufficient. I already miss Chris and Eloise, but a break from nap and bedtime routines, kid-centred activities and relentless meal prep means I can do whatever, whenever. I can actually go out and stay out all night if I wanted (and I just might)! There is a Christian Louboutin exhibit on at The Design Exchange I want to see, I haven't been vintage shopping in Kensington Market since I graduated University, I want to go to my favourite ribbon and button stores (I really know how to have a good time) and best of all, I'm looking forward to spending quality time with girlfriends I only get to see once a year. 

I've been waiting at the gate since 9:30 but as soon as I pop the cork on my on-board bubbly, my vacation officially begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment