Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Positive Birth

Now that I've had a few weeks to process it, Spencer's birth doesn't feel like the loss I expected. In fact, it was a really positive experience.

The word I would use to describe my birth is supported. Even though I did not have the natural delivery I wanted, I was supported every step of the way by an incredible team of healthcare professionals who made this birth so different, and so much better, than my experience with Eloise. First and foremost, my midwives from Midwifery Associates. Their expert care and attentiveness made me feel as if I was their only patient, rather than just another number. I also can't say enough good things about the caring team of obstetricians, anesthesiologists and nurses I encountered at Lions Gate Hospital.

My wait for surgery was a frustrating and emotional process, but once it was go time everything went quickly. The anesthesiologist took time to listen to my fears and did everything he could to make me comfortable throughout my surgery (a spinal block AND epidural definitely contributed). My midwife Gill never left my side, a huge change from being led down a series of hallways and down elevators into a huge OR at Women's Hospital, alone with nurses I had never met. Actually, the hospital experience at Lions Gate was just better overall. It's is a small hospital with a small maternity ward that is so quiet compared to Women's without a large volume of births happening all at once. The OR where I had my c-section was just steps away from my hospital room, not down an elevator and through a maze of corridors. But the best part of this hospital experience was the mutual respect between the doctors, nurses and the midwives. To have nurses say, "Oh you're Gill's patient, she likes things done like this," made it clear that everyone was working together. 

The first days and weeks of recovery following my caesarean were tough but at one month I feel good, and I am healing really well. Spencer's birth taught me that I don't have to have a natural delivery to feel positive about my birth experience. His was a much happier birth than I ever expected and you know what, I'd do it all over again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment