Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Noisy


I hate to admit it, but I have a picky eater on my hands. Sometimes she'll eat mushrooms, peppers, cauliflower and yams but most of the time tomatoes, potatoes and broccoli are the only veggies she'll consume. Her face scrunched up when I tried to feed her a delicious homemade Shepherd's Pie with yam & mashed potato topping, she will not touch sliced apple or pear and spits out meat and fish. Eloise's favourite food is still toast but we have also introduced our carb-loving child to quesadillas, muffins and gnocchetti (mini gnocchi). It's not that I don't try to serve her different things, she just refuses to eat most of it.

One thing I have had great success with is smoothies. Some kids want milk when they first wake up, mine asks for a 'noisy' (because the blender is noisy, of course). I put Eloise up on the counter and we make her smoothie together. We always start with a banana - the only way she'll eat it - then add frozen fruit, yogurt and coconut milk. I even manage to sneak in veggies like kale. Here are a few smoothie combos we've found Eloise particularly enjoys:  

Strawberry/ Blueberry Banana

1 banana
1/2 cup frozen strawberries or blueberries, or both
1/4 cup kale leaves
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup coconut milk  

Banana-Oatmeal

1 banana
1/3 cup cooked steel cut oats
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup coconut milk
pinch of cinnamon

Mango Banana

1 banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 orange, juiced
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup coconut milk

Our Breville blender has a 'Smoothie' setting so I can put the lid on the glass jar, press start and go get Eloise dressed while the smoothie does it's thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment